While stem cells can be found in most tissues of the body, they are usually buried deep, are few in number and are similar in appearance to surrounding cells. With the discovery of stem cells in teeth, an accessible and available source of stem cells has been identified.
Dental stem cells all have significant benefits in the development of new medical therapies to treat a range of diseases contemporary medicine currently deems difficult or impossible to treat. Among them are:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Brain injuries
- Heart disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Periodontal disease
- Sports injuries
- Cosmetic and anti-aging applications
Platelet Rich Plasma
PRP is platelet rich plasma. PRP permits the body to take advantage of normal healing pathways at a greatly accelerated rate. During the healing process, the body rushes many cells and cell-types to the wound in order to initiate healing. One of those cell-types is platelets. Platelets perform many functions, including formation of a blood clot and release of growth factors into the wound. These growth factors assist the body in repairing itself by stimulating stem cells to regenerate new tissue. Thus, PRP permits the body to heal faster and more efficiently.
PRP ALSO HAS MANY ADVANTAGES
- Safety: PRP is a by-product of the patient’s own blood, therefore, disease transmission is not an issue.
- Convenience: PRP can be generated in the doctor’s office while the patient is undergoing an outpatient surgical procedure such as the placement of dental implants.
- Faster healing: The supersaturation of the wound with PRP, and thus growth factors, produces an increase of tissue synthesis and faster tissue regeneration.
- Cost effectiveness: Since PRP harvesting is done with only 55 cc of blood in the doctor’s office, the patient need not incur the expense of the harvesting procedure in hospital or at a blood bank.
- Ease of use: PRP is easy to handle and actually improves the ease of application of bone substitute materials and bone-grafting products by making them more gel-like.
Dr. Jason Straw uses stem cells and PRP as biological materials in Irvine, California, that enhance the success of your treatment and the speed of your healing. If you would like to learn more about these advanced services at Orange County Oral Surgeons & Dental Implant Center, please call our office at 949-727-7000 and arrange a consultation with our oral surgeon.