PRP is platelet rich plasma. PRP permits the body to take advantage of normal healing pathways at a greatly accelerated rate. During the healing process, the body rushes many cells and cell-types to the wound in order to initiate healing. One of those cell-types is platelets. Platelets perform many functions, including formation of a blood clot and release of growth factors into the wound. These growth factors assist the body in repairing itself to regenerate new tissue. Thus, PRP permits the body to heal faster and more efficiently.
PRP Also Has Many Advantages
- Safety: PRP is a by-product of the patient’s own blood, therefore, disease transmission is not an issue.
- Convenience: PRP can be generated in the doctor’s office while the patient is undergoing an outpatient surgical procedure such as the placement of dental implants.
- Faster healing: The supersaturation of the wound with PRP, and thus growth factors, produces an increase of tissue synthesis and faster tissue regeneration.
- Cost effectiveness: Since PRP harvesting is done with only 55 cc of blood in the doctor’s office, the patient need not incur the expense of the harvesting procedure in hospital or at a blood bank.
- Ease of use: PRP is easy to handle and actually improves the ease of application of bone substitute materials and bone-grafting products by making them more gel-like.
Dr. Jason Straw and Dr. Jennifer Jones use PRP as biological materials in Irvine, California, that enhance the success of your treatment and the speed of your healing. If you would like to learn more about these advanced services at Orange County Oral Surgeons & Dental Implant Center, please call our office at 949-727-7000 and arrange a consultation with our oral surgeons.